Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers Day


Happy Mothers Day MOM!!! Thanks for teaching, showing, being a great example, loving and laughing with me.
Two years ago this May I laid next to my mom in her bed for the last time. We laughed, talked, sang & just laid there for a long time. She knew that she wasn't going to be around much longer and I think I knew that too. She told me all of the things I should make sure I had packed so she could come up to Cache Valley Rendezvous and make Navajo Tacos. I assured her that I had everything thinking in my mind that there was no way she would make it up to camp. She was very ill and had not been out of bed that day. She sniffed my hair and told me I was her little smoke stack and that she loved the smell of a good bon fire. She said, it reminded her of a lot of good times in her life. We really didn't talk about anything of great importance that day. We didn't need to. All my life my mom has taught me EVERYTHING I know. Even when she didn't think I was listening, I got it. I just needed a little time of my own to process it and love everything she taught me. One of the last things she told me that day was that she loved me. We laid there and as I cried on her shoulder she told me it was OK for me to cry, especially if it made me feel better. She sang a little song to me and then told me to go make sure that everyone had had lunch. I asked her if she wanted something for lunch and she said, "No, I just didn't want any one at my house to be hungry."
I wish that she were still here, but I know that she keeps up with everything we are doing. The next day was the saddest day of my life. Losing my mom changed everything. Happy Mothers Day MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...