Friday, November 19, 2010

A few of my favorite things

This post requires a bit of a preface. You see this activity actually took place a month or so ago. Right after it was done I sat down and wrote the following blog. I never posted it because it made me cry every time I read it. Last night when I was cleaning out my blog in box it kept staring at me. I finally opened it and read it again. Wow. I made it through and wasn't really sure why it has sat around for more than a month. Other than it isn't really finished and I was going to post a few photos of my favorite things I brought home. I have not taken pictures of any of the things I have but I have put them away or put them on walls. So here goes. Sorry the ending is non existent. Maybe that means some day I will finish. Maybe I won't.

The past weekend we spent Saturday collecting, sorting and cleaning up my Dad's old house. It is still very hard to go to the house and not find my Mom there. She always made "home" a special place and made anyone who went there feel specail. So, now she has been gone for a few years and Dad has moved on to bigger and better things, it's time to take a bull by the horns and be the boss. If you have ever had to do any part of this task before you know the emotion that comes along with it. Loss, hate, anger, saddness, happy, memories and mostly a bunch of confusion. Thank goodness I didn't have to do it all alone. I am lucky that I only have one set of parents and when my in-laws are gone it is not my responsibility to make and keep everyone happy. So after we finish with this task my job is 1/2 finished. Thank goodness because I don't ever want to do it again. So, after cleaning stuff out of the old house and finding the stuff that we think the kids would like to keep we made everyone piles and then I was faced with the task of putting all my pile away at my own home.


This is the task that kind of keeps me running. If you know me you know that I really like to have "homes" for everything that comes in my home. That doesn't mean my house is always perfect by any means but I do like things to be put away. So now I am torn. Do I display everything that I have from my Mom's house or do I store it so I can charish it and keep if for a long time.

That has been the question on my mind this week. I love having the memories of my mom and love to share those things, but part of me wants to bottle it all up and keep it just for me when I want to see those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...