Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Today the tree came down

The Christmas tree that is. We went out to the little tree farm in West Warren or someplace like that. "North Pole Pines" to be exact. The man who owns it looks like Santa himself. He gave us the instructions and told us how to get the best deal on a Christmas tree. The weather was nice and warm and we set out to walk among all of the lovely pines. It was amazing to see how many trees were missing this year compared to last year. It's not quite like going into back country to get your tree but it beats the heck out of going to a tree lot at the supermarket.

There it was....


She is beautiful on top. Her bottom is a little sparse. That's ok. She has plenty of boughs to make beautiful mantel pieces and even a yule log if we please. After John worked really hard to cut her down, we had to team work to get her out of the forest. She is HEAVY. That's good, full of sap and very green. When we went to pay Santa he told us why the bottom branches leave a lot to be desired. We loaded her into the truck. I lost rowshambow and had to get into the back of the truck. It's really hard to get into the truck while the 50lb 12' tree is trying to get in there too.

Well I kicked my shin into the tail gate and held in the bad words I wanted to yell at the top of my lungs. We got her strapped in so she would not fall out on our way home and off we went.

It's really hard to take a picture while you have gloves on so I took them off and shot a picture. I didn't realize that you all could see my glove hanging out of my mouth until I had taken the photo...OOOPPPPSSS



Now to trim her up and put all of the jewelry on her to make her into a beautiful 2009 Christmas Tree.

3 comments:

  1. SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS A NICE EXPERIENCE EVEN THOUGH YOU SUSTAINED AN INJURY ! WE WILL HAVE TO COME SEE YOUR TREE, AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU GUYS OUT AGAIN. IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO KNOW HOW WELL YOUR TREE HOLDS UP, THE ONES YOU GET OFF OF TREE LOTS SEEM TO DIE QUICKLY AND YOU END UP WITH NEEDLES FOR MONTHS ! THATS WHY WE WENT TO ARTIFICAL. I MISS THE SMELL !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have always wanted a real tree! I love that smell. I also loved reading about your mom and Christmas. What wonderful memories. The little high chair you are refinishing is so cute! I have one from a yard sale that I painted (I was too lazy to strip the paint:) and put on my porch to hold a pot of flowers. Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys look so cute. Looks like you had fun choosing the tree and you are both smiling at the end of it all.

    ReplyDelete

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...