Wednesday, December 9, 2009

How lovely are thy branches



We have a cute Christmas tree this year. Bella and Snowflake were happy to help point out the branches that were in their reach. We may need a picket fence around the tree to keep the critters out. It is so fun to put all of the decorations on the tree. Now if only I could find the Christmas Box that has the tree skirt in it. Otherwise I guess I will have to make a new one. It was so much fun to have a fire, trim the tree and now to sit by it and read Christmas novels or stories.

When I was small we had a little "Nisse" elf that lived on the tree. I think my Dad thought of that because that is a little troll like guy who is the protector of the farm in Norway. The Nisse would watch us to make sure we didn't peek at the presents. He also had a direct line to the North Pole. If we were bad he was sure to tell the big guy. Once Santa made his big appearance the elf was tucked away and put in the attic until next year when he was needed to watch over the presents under the tree. This year I have a perfect tree for the little guy to live in. It has a little hole right down low. I guess it is time to look for a new elf.

The Christmas tree is a very important part of Christmas in my family. We love to gather around it and sing Christmas carols. We also like to sit and talk about all of the collection of ornaments that are on the tree. Christmas Eve was always filled with visits to and from the local relatives and then sitting in the front room with the tree lights on singing and visiting and having a little something to eat. I will guarantee there will be ham and mashed potatoes and then my favorite....rice pudding topped with red fruit sauce. Inside the rice pudding is hidden an almond. Who ever find the almond in their dish wins the prize. Usually a chocolate bar. MMMMM good. When I was older and not living at home my mom would always make me my own pot of rice pudding. She would include the almond and even the chocolate.




My mom loved collecting Christmas Village houses. When we lived with my Grandma Israelsen Teresa and I made a dangerous trip to Logan so I could pick up the next addition to the Christmas Village. I have my own village and it comes out at Thanksgiving time. Each time I see it I have fond memories of helping my mom set her village up. When I didn't live close to home I would get the detailed report about how she set it up and arranged it.



Now days we try to celebrate solstice with a big party and celebration with our friends and loved ones to celebrate that the days are getting longer....Coming soon to a blog near you.





Here is the part of the tree we didn't use. Next year I think my tree will be a flat top:)





1 comment:

  1. Your tree looks beautiful! I love to read your blogs, you are too funny.

    ReplyDelete

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...