Thursday, November 18, 2010

It's raining

leaves that is. I am not sure why when we were looking for houses a big yard was on my list but it was. I have to remember while taking care of it that it's what I wanted. I have been working hard on keeping the leaves picked up this year. Last week end we raked up the back yard. I mulched and composted as much as I could but you see, last year I did that and I didn't pull any compost out from that pen last year. I am afraid you can make more compost than you can use.

I guess one reason that I wanted a huge yard was that is what I knew growing up as a child. I remember mowing and raking and planting and weeding and growing and flowers and fruit trees and melons and I could go on for hours. When I was a child I knew that I had chores to do that helped on the plantation but I didn't realize how much work my mom and dad put into the mix also. Me having to mow the yard on Saturday was nothing to speak of. Never mind fertalizing, edging, weed eating.

Now all of that ends up on my shoulders. I think I am convinced that having a xeriscaped yard it the plan for me. I am not sure that Bella would like so much rock and plants but maybe we could keep a dig spot just for her instead of the whole back yard.

That would solve the issue of yard work but what about those darn leaves. Say noting of the pine needles. Those are every where this year. I also had those growing up as a child and the smart mother I had would give us all of the garden tools and turn us loose under the trees and have us build citys and houses using the fallen needels as walls or streets. We would turn the blanket of needles into rows and piles. Sneaky way to get them all gathered up then it was easy to just rake and dump.

Maybe we could figure out a way to burn pine needles to run our cars. I think I'll start working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...