Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Vickie we love you

Today was the funeral for one of the ladies that lived in my group home. It is amazing to see the love that pours out during a time like this. I had the opportunity of working with the bishop of the rock cliff 1st ward again. I hoped last January I wouldn't have to work with him again but this week I got my chance. What an awesome man. He is amazing and willing to help in aspects that I didn't think of myself.

I was asked to speak by the family on Saturday. It is not my favorite thing to do. I kind of thought that I dodged the "Relief Society" bullet that my Mom laid the "big shoes" to fill in that department. However, after this past week I think she is just being sneaky about how she is getting me involved:)

Talking at funerals is not my favorite thing. In fact talking in public is not what I would ever choose to do for a past time. I learned at my mom's funeral that it was really hard to control my tears but with my brothers backing me up I made it. Literally the backed me up. I was having a hard time talking instead of crying and they all came to the pulpit to stand with me while I finished. Now for two other funerals that I have been asked to speak at I can feel them standing right behind me letting me know it's all going to be ok.

I was amazed to find out how often I cross paths with others who know Vickie or her family. It was a great day and thankfully the storm waited to come in until Vickie's day was over. She wouldn't have liked that. I can see her shaking her finger now at the weather man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...