Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rain, snow and wind

We have been camping for the past 8 days. We had to move our usual location to one up in Sardine canyon. I have heard many stories about how that canyon got it's name and after spending a crazy week there I can think of my own reasons. The first day or two were not bad. It was a little windy but nothing we have not seen before. Unfortunately the spot that we were camping in was at the summit of the canyon. Wellsville on one side Dry Lake on the other. Just FYI, Dry Lake is not dry right now and the water in it had white caps on the lake when we were coming home. The third night it blew like no ones business. I have never seen wind quite like that. The worst wind I have ever seen went of for a few minutes maybe even twenty. This wind started at 11:45pm and went til 4:30am. It was not just windy. There were 95 MPH gusts. Let me tell you what that feels like...you can't breath and it will lift you right up off the ground. We laid down camps all night long. We worked faster once the canvas started ripping. The next day we set it all back up again. I kept saying, "If only the wind would be gone I would take the rain." I guess God decided to try that theory out. The wind stopped and the rain started. Then the snow, then the rain, then the snow, then the rain. Once we were taking our camp down on Monday, I was soaked to the bone for five or so hours. Once I started loosing feeling in my fingers and legs I decided running around in my long johns was better than having frost bite. It was true. We did have an enjoyable weekend despite what we went through. I know one thing. There are a few new items in my "Must Have" camp bag and I know I can make it through it what ever IT is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...