Saturday, December 3, 2011

The wind storm of 2011

On Thursday morning around 2:00am the wind started to blow.  It was a wind coming out of the East.  You know those are the worst kinds.  They are the kind that always shut down I-15 to semi trucks and the kind that have a lot of force to them.  By 3:30am I was wide awake listening to things crash all around me.  Bella wouldn't even go out side at 4:30am when I got up to let her our after her begging to go out.  By 5:30am we didn't have power any more.  I didn't worry because usually it's only out for a few hours at the longest.  At 6:30am I was called into work because the power was out and they needed help.  When I got to work I couldn't get out of my car because the wind was blowing so hard.  A trampoline was blowing in the air and lots of debris was flying around.  While I was at work John called me and asked me to hurry home because part of our pine tree had come through the dinning room window.  On my way home this is what I saw a block from my house. 
Visions of my parents tree flashed in my eyes.  I was scared that when I got home I would find my huge pine down on our house.  Well, my tree was still standing but the wind was blowing so hard I thought that the tree would go down soon.  We taped up our window and waited for the wind to stop.  It did not stop.  It blew all day.  We did not have power.  The whole city was out of power.  We didn't have power for 41 hours.  By the time it came back on I was so happy.  We lost some shingles and our back fence, compost bin and a few tarps but the tree still stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...