Friday, February 10, 2012

Kitchen Witch

Today I was visiting my Aunt Connie.  She is a dear lady that I love to visit.  It's like going home to my mom's house.  I can open cupboards and she always has a new gadget or project to share with you. 

Today was no exception.  We were in her kitchen when we found a little witch like doll.  We thought maybe it was a Halloween decoration or project that stowed away in the kitchen.  After we inquired what it was Aunt Connie exclaimed, "That's my new kitchen witch." 

Lori and I looked at each other with amazement.  I had never heard of a kitchen witch.  Aunt Connie told us that she keeps evil out of the kitchen and keeps things from burning.  I told her that I was a week to late in learning of a kitchen witch.  I just burned the day lights out of my favorite medium size sauce pan. 

I came home and looked her up and this is what I learned....


A Norwegian kitchen witch: A kitchen witch, sometimes called a cottage witch or a "Scandinavian" kitchen witch doll, is a poppet or homemade doll resembling a stereotypical witch or crone displayed in residential kitchens as a means to provide good luck and ward off bad spirits.

There is some debate over the exact country in which the kitchen witch originated, some claiming Norway and others Germany, but consensus points to it stemming from older European customs.


"Look who's landed in your kitchen.  Bringing fortune to your home.  It's nme, the lucky kitchen witch your special little gnome.  I'll end burnt pots.  I'll keep meals hot.  I'll do such magic chores.  For I'm your lucky kitchen witch.  Keep me safe by your kitchen door."
The poppet is supposed to depict a "good" witch who inspires productivity and safety in a kitchen, but also counteracts any ill-will directed to the home. It is considered good luck to give a kitchen witch to a friend or family member. So that those unfamiliar with the kitchen witch can understand its meaning, sometimes a note will be hung around the witch's neck stating something similar to:

"The Legendary Secret of Goof-Proof Cooking:
For centuries, Norwegians have hung this good witch in their kitchen. They believe she has the power to keep roasts from burning, pots from boiling over, and sauces from spilling."

I have the smartest Aunt and I am so glad that she is willing to share a bit of her knowledge with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...