Friday, October 9, 2009

Grapes of Wrath

Today was grape day. Having never tackled this task before on my own my only recollection of doing grapes were limited to my childhood. One time during grape juice I fell out of the window three times despite the warning Grandma George gave me. Once my now brother in law, then guy dating my sister brought me a tea set, and other times I just remember having to let the juice out of the steamer and listen for the marbles to rattle. When my wonderful father called on Monday and asked how many grapes I needed or wanted I was speechless. I had no idea how many grapes I needed. I told him I wanted an ice cream bucket full. He chuckled and said I may need more grapes if I wanted to make juice with them. I was not sure what I wanted to make with them. The only three things I can think of that need grapes are Juice, Jelly & Wine. I knew I was not in the wine making business so that left me with Juice and Jelly. I know the last time I ate PB & J was when we were camping. If I am at home I prefer PB& H. I can't tell you when the last time I drank grape juice was, so I told my dad I was unsure of what amount of grapes I wanted. He said maybe I should start with a bushel. I agreed and he said he was picking them now and would deliver them if I wanted him too. Sure thing, I am no dummy so if you are picking I am grinning:) We met Monday night to exchange grapes. I was a little shocked when he pulled open the trunk and there was a HUGE laundry basket piled high with the most beautiful grapes. I was so excited even though I had no idea what I was making with them or how to go about it. I started trying to recall what my job was while helping my mom. I came to realize my biggest job was stay OUT OF THE WAY! Now I started to wonder what was I doing with a bushel and a half of grapes. We came home and I started looking for recipes of grape things. The best canning things were...you guessed it Jelly and Juice. Well, I guess that makes me a pro. I knew that's what we were making. I took an inventory on our bottle situation and decided that it was best not to can jelly in quarts so I was in need of bottles. After a trip to the store I was ready to start. Reading and calling and Internet helped me get started and then things got moving so quickly that there was no time for electronic devices it was all up to me. Make a decision, try to remember, reason and logic all came into play. By the time John came home from work we officially had.....12 half pints, 12 pints of jelly and NO more sugar in the house, and 4 quarts of juice. Every thing but one half pint sealed. I guess that means tomorrow I can eat a PB & J,with fresh JELLY!!!!! Grapes go on for ever. I just have to state that fact so next year when I think I need more than a bushel of grapes I will have a memory of what I need. 8 kids or 1 bushel of grapes is plenty.

1 comment:

  1. Mandy, I love the way you combine technology with good old fashioned logic! Great story! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...