Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Return of the Prodigal Dog


Dear Humans;

I made it HOME! I left last Saturday trying to find something better out there. Beyond the fence where my humans let me roam freely. I headed from my house and found a busy street. I was hit there but I didn't let that stop me. I got up and started running again. It soon became dark and I was not fond of being out in the dark but I couldn't find my way home. I looked around and found a yard full of burrs to lay down in and rest. By morning I was hungry and thirsty and I really missed my humans. I looked around the streets but couldn't find my way home. I found some Cats to chase and they let me have a bit of food. Another night and so I found the best thing out there....grass and weeds to lay down in. I drank from puddles and licked my sores on my nose and feet. Oh how I wished to be back in my kennel with a bowl of fresh water and a treat for going to bed. Next morning I got up and tried to bark to find my way home. A man saw me in his yard. He tried to call to me but I was afraid. I didn't want him, I wanted my humans. I spent three more days out here looking, waiting. On Friday I was getting really close to home. I found my friends yard and then the nice puppy officer showed me her badge and lured me into her big truck with a bone. I took it and went for a ride with her. She called my humans to tell them where I was. I had been on the run for 6 days. I was tired, cold, hungry, dirty and ready to go home. When my humans got there to pick me up I didn't see them at first. A man walked in with my red leash. Then there they were. Mom & Dad. I was so excited I started to jump up to the top of my cage. The man handed me to mom. I jumped on her and licked her face. She said I had to have a tubby when I got home. I didn't care. On our way home the humans stopped and bought me soft dog food for a treat. When we got home I ate and drank and went out back. Then I had a bath. When my bath was over I was ready for a rest. I pulled mom's pants off of the bed and slept on them. Oh how nice is was to be home. They let me stay on the floor for a long time. Then I made my way to my kennel. It was a great night spent in my own bed. Saturday Mom let me sleep in her bed all day while Dad was gone. I couldn't get his bed quite right. I scratched it a lot and moved his blankets. Every car door I heard I went to the window to look for Dad. When he made it home he fixed dinner and I took a nap in the kitchen while he was busy cooking. I am so happy to be home. Here are a few snapshots of my first few days back....

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...