Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ode to the Engineers


Happy Engineer week!!! Where would I be with out an engineer? I wouldn't be here. You see my father (Dad) is an engineer. With out him there would be no me. I would not have made it out of the sixth grade with out him.
We were assigned to make a project that could be wind powered and lift weight. The teacher thought about a pound would suffice because we were going to use a blow dryer for the wind power. I took my project ideas home and reviewed them with Gene. He helped me invent a fin that would catch wind and turn a 2x2 board. To that we attached a sting that could wind around the board and lift the weight. Mind you the 2x2 was square. We attached fins to each side (Pop bottles cut in half) and drilled two holes and inserted nails that fit into to coffee cans. We tested the project at home a number of times once it would lift a pound I called it good and took it to school. Gene doesn't worry about looks, it's all about how it works.
My teacher was a bit of a chauvinist. I can't remember his name. Some thing like Mckinnon I think. He didn't think girls were very smart. That really made me mad. He started most of the other projects with small ounce weights. That made me smile because I was sure that mine could do that. When it was my turn I set up my project and told him we should start with the one pound weight. He laughed, and picked up the smallest weight. He turned on the blow dryer and had to duck because the weight was immediately air born and flying toward his head. It hit the black board and took a huge chunk of the green off. I thought it was the funniest thing ever. He then put the pound weight on and it lifted it no sweat. He asked what my dad's occupation was and I told him he was a garbage man. (If you have seen his garage you would agree) When class was over and we were leaving one of the boys that was leaving the class with me called the teacher a dumb ass. He immediately thought it was me and told me I needed to be in his room in the morning with my parent.
I went home and told my parents about it and my mom informed Gene he would be in school with me in the morning. She wasn't going. My dad agreed and we went in and settled everything. When I got my grade on the project I was given a "c". When asked why I was told because I had broken the chalk board. My dad again came to bat for me and got my grade raised.
Now, if I ever require math skills or ideas I call Dad. He can figure out anything. If Dad can't Elliot can. It's great now he lives here. Dinner hour turns into a very interesting topic sometimes.
SO my hat off to any Engineer. I can't do what they do. Happy National Engineer Week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It takes a village

  Today from the sanctuary: I’ve been advocating all week for children! How village life is so important. How having a village helps balanc...